Monday, December 1, 2014

The launch of Christmas

Another Monday rolls around and another weekend is behind us - this one no doubt full of promotional codes and full online shopping carts/baskets, haha. I will admit, I couldn't turn down Yarnspirations' Bernat Super Value sale; 40%, yes please! It even makes the shipping worthwhile. Aside from all the hoopla in stores, the doctor and I headed into town centre for the official switch flipping and fireworks that signal Christmastime here, and it was awesome! We had some mulled wine and mince pies (which do not contain meat, and the filling isn't minced...not sure where the name comes from but they were delish) and after some mumbly talking on a poor soundsystem, suddenly everyone started counting down and at 1, the tree and all the surrounding decorations lit up :) And then fireworks! I am now of the mind that every Christmas season everywhere should start with fireworks.

After which, we went to a pub for supper. As you do.
Aside from that excitement, I did much knitting, as I had hoped. I finished the edging on my worksock sweater and it looks MILES better than the first go-round, so I'm satisfied there. I'm disappointed with the quality of the edging yarn though - and yes I know, I picked pretty much the cheapest yarn but still, Bernat Super Value is much more robust and gave the first worksock sweater much more definition on the collar. This one (Special DK, I believe) just rolls up...I'll actually have to sew it in place if I want it to really sit still.

Also, in this photo you can see the elusive sixth buttonhole, which is now totally extraneous since the collar starts right after the fifth buttonhole. Alas. This is definitely my pilot sweater.
I also cast on for the Tanis Fiber Arts Holiday Knit-along with my lovely Blue Label Fingering; I'm making her Prism Shawl, a nice simple pattern open to whatever embellishments you wish to add. I'm putting in a row of eyelets every time I change colour and I've done one already...hopefully blocking the shawl will settle down the eyelets as right now they look kind of funny. But the yarn is gorgeous, I wish I could knit with it all the time!


2 comments:

  1. Roots is selling a similar cardigan, I like yours better. Want so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw theirs! I was inspired by someone on campus who was rocking a similar cardigan (maybe the Roots one) but it's more fun to knit my own since I can do fun things like add thumbholes :)

      Delete