Monday, December 8, 2014

SBS follow-up

On this lovely Monday morning (yes, the two words can go together) with the sun shining and nary a breeze, I wish I had more marvellous news from my Small Business Saturday. While my Etsy shop got some views and generated a wee bit of buzz on Facebook, I didn't end up getting any sales. I thought about this a lot last night and decided to take a few things out of it:

1. Publicity is still pretty important. Now, I understand my network is pretty small and the burden is not on other people to do all my advertising for me, either. This is definitely the most monumental task of a start-up. It seems I still have a lot of work to do in getting word out about my shop.
2. New is new. I'm still an untested brand. This kind of hinges on publicity too, but there's no word of mouth on my products because so far I've pretty much knit for myself and a few other people.
3. Other venues are plentiful. This area has a LOT of craft sales, especially around Christmas. Clearly I don't have enough inventory to set up a table just yet, but it's good to know that I can spend the year building up stock and do more in-person selling in the coming year. Exploring other venues than Etsy might be a better bet!

Regardless, it was worth a shot. I'm looking forward to listing some more items in the shop this week, and my current worksock sweater is nearing completion (I know right? I'm a machine) and is looking so comfy and lovely! Also, now that I know there's lilac tweed...well, I can't resist that action.
Total sidenote: I'm listening to a station out of London that's playing the Johnny Cash cover of "Hurt"...does anyone else still totally goosebump out when this song plays? Trent or Johnny, this song brings out the chills. Best way to start the day is with good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment