Wednesday, December 3, 2014

How to make the most of the trip

Boy, have I had an exciting Wednesday already! Which is something in itself - not all Wednesdays have so much fun in them before noon. Especially not when I have to haul my butt out of bed before 7 to make breakfast for the doctor. However, today involved a trip to the yarn store and that's always a good start. 
This was a special trip, since it is also my run day. Two birds, one trip: I literally ran to the yarn store today. And let me tell you, I didn't really understand how many hills are on that route...until today. Good grief. For a prairie girl, this place is just inclines all over. Sometimes I actually feel like it's all uphill! I'm sure there are downslopes SOMEwhere on my runs, but honestly. 
Anyway. The point was, I went to the yarn store! I'm tasked with making a worksock sweater for my lovely friend Tiffany at Little Mouse on the Prairie and so I had to resupply...but tragedy struck and they didn't have the same colourway that I used! I got a similar one (with more cream in the tweed) so we'll see if it passes muster. In reality, I wanted a yarn much more like the one I bought today than the one I used originally for this sweater, so I think it'll look much more like the first worksock sweater I made, which is warming another friend in Canada.
The gorgeous heathered purple next to that yarn is for the Selfish Sweater KAL hosted by Andi Satterlund - she just announced it and I was only supposed to scope out some yarn, but I couldn't help it. This yarn HAD to be mine. As it happens, I did the last KAL with Andi and she awarded a free pattern to everyone who completed it (which was AWESOME! A lovely cardigan and a free pattern?! Come on); I chose Aiken, a sweater I've had my eye on for some time, and it's one of the patterns she's included in this upcoming KAL! So now I have an excuse to have it jump the queue...which is getting pretty long, haha.
As a little personal hooray for myself, I have finally had the difference between DK and aran yarn made quite plain - they are not quite interchangeable and my own worksock sweater is evidence of that. The cream yarn I used for the edging is definitely DK - it knit up much thinner than the aran of the body and the collar is MUCH too flimsy. But the point is, I snagged some cream coloured aran for the new worksock sweater and it will be a success! High fives all around. 
Because I just can't sit quietly, I finished up a chunky crocheted bandana-style scarf this morning too. I'm thinking it wants fringes so it's not quite ready to go up in the shop, but it's pretty and squishy and chunky and I'll probably wear it if it sticks around for a while ;)

1 comment: