Friday, November 28, 2014

Regular-coloured Friday

Well, while the Western world seems to be going wild with shopping lust (my inbox was going insane with deals today), for me it was a pretty normal Friday: work and more work, and some dishes at the end. I'm finally getting pretty close to casting off the edging of my worksock sweater (hopefully I'll get to post some pictures soon!), and the doctor's sweater is eagerly awaiting some attention. Even better, I'll finally get to cast on my Prism Shawl once this cardigan is done :) I don't have a shawl yet and I have a fierce love of gradient colours so this will be a double-win!
And for fun, a little info on the technique that's been slowing me down on this edging: short rows. Now, don't get me wrong, short rows are actually fantastic for shaping - in fact they're my favourite new technique for set-in sleeves. But they just aren't very exciting for building a collar! A short row is just that: a row that you don't knit all the way across. Often they're used for wedge shapes (Bernat has a lovely toque pattern that uses their Roving yarn), and that was what I used them for in my collar. You come to the point at which you wish to turn, and slip the next stitch without knitting it. Then bring the yarn to the front, slip the yarn back, and turn your work. You'll have a loop of yarn around the stitch, and when you're done with the short rows, you'll pick up the loops and knit them with the stitches that they were wrapped around.
With that, it's time to finish up this sweater. I'm rewatching Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and movies like this are pretty much perfect for knitting. Happy weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment