Thursday, February 5, 2015

Miles to go

It's pretty obvious I've been MIA for a while here. No excuses: I have a ton of regular-job work, and that combined with preparing to head out to Canada tomorrow (well, pretty much tonight) has left me with little free time. However, in the past few weeks, I have gotten a ton done, which is nice:

1. Aiken
After some neckline hassles and my own modifications to length, my Aiken KAL sweater is finished! I didn't have time to block it, but I threw it in the wash anyway and it seems to have held up. I'm a little worried the length of the sleeves isn't going to be enough, but the body is definitely long enough. I still love the colour, but the gauge must be off since the entire sweater is a little too big and this is not a style that wears "baggy" well. It's going to be one of those "let's wear it and see" items, I think. I'm glad to have the pattern though - now I can redo it :P

2. The doctor's raglan
The entire sleeve redone and another sleeve knit up to match, I was feeling pretty zesty about this one...until I finished it and was left a little dissatisfied with the body length, especially compared to the sleeves, which are really long. I'm planning on giving it another go (with another sweater, not redoing this one) and this one has taught me some fairly important lessons about gauge and measuring. The more you know.

3. Grammy's knit toque for me
This pattern from Tanis Lavalleé of Tanis Fiber Arts has become my new favourite toque pattern. It's so easy and quick, you can use pretty much whatever you have to hand, and it's a nice classic toque. Pretty much everything you could want in a knit! I had trouble with the sizing on this particular one because I used the leftovers from the doctor's sweater, which is JC Brett Marble Chunky - very thick, even when you're using a smaller needle than given. So the toque is too big, but meh.

4. Cap Sleeve Lattice Top
I've loved the look of this top from the Purl Bee for a long time, and as I may have mentioned, I've already given it a go once (and recently frogged the entire thing for more useful endeavours). Now I'm using The Fiber Company's Acadia, acquired in Vancouver because I always come home with yarn from that lovely city, and so far it's knitting up perfectly. I'm a little worried I'll be short on the contrast colour since I only have one skein, but I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm almost half way now, so here's hoping that what's in the ball will be enough!

I have a LONG day of travelling ahead of me, but I also have lots of yarn and various projects to last. If I'm not so tired that I drop all the stitches, or something extreme. I'm also going to modifying a pattern to make a scarf (not for me), though I haven't settled on which pattern yet. Does anyone else ever have the problem of just picking a pattern? Should be simple since I just have the one skein, but my brain jumps from cables to lace to simple to complicated...I'll settle down eventually. The most fun I'll have on this trip will be hand-winding my skeins on the plane(s), I'm sure. I'll try to make that one an airport activity, since looping the skein over my knees tends to take up a lot of room and I'm sure my seatmates wouldn't be into it. 
Here's to smooth flights, no delays, no missed flights, and more blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment